This homemade BBQ sauce recipe is a game-changer! It has a perfect balance between sweetness, tanginess, and smokiness. It’s also incredibly easy to make – you just need 10 minutes, one pot and a few accessible ingredients to make the best BBQ sauce at home.
WHAT IS HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE
BBQ sauce, short for barbecue sauce, is a versatile condiment that has become a staple in kitchens worldwide. It’s a harmonious blend of ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, spices, and other flavourful ingredients, resulting in a sauce that’s sweet, tangy, and slightly spicy. While store-bought options are readily available, there’s something truly special about making your own sauce from scratch.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Ketchup: Provides a rich tomato base and natural sweetness.
- Brown sugar: Adds sweetness and caramel notes, balancing the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Black treacle (cane molasses): Imparts a deep, earthy sweetness and enhances the sauce’s thickness.
- Apple cider vinegar: Offers a tangy kick, brightening the overall flavour profile.
- Cooking oil: Provides a silky texture and enhances the mouthfeel of the sauce.
- Mustard: Adds complexity and a subtle zing to the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce: Infuses umami and depth into the sauce.
- Spices: Adding additional flavour to the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ SAUCE
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Combine the ingredients.
In a medium saucepan, gather your ketchup, brown sugar, black treacle, apple cider vinegar, cooking oil, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if you desire a bit of heat). Whisk until combined.
Step 2: Simmer the sauce.
Bring the mixture to gently simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. For a thicker sauce, simmer a bit longer.
Step 3: Taste and store.
Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Once you’ve achieved the perfect balance of sweetness, tanginess, and smokiness, allow the sauce to cool to room temperature. Transfer it into an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
STORING AND FREEZING TIPS
Homemade BBQ sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month, maintaining its freshness and flavour. For longer-term storage, consider freezing the sauce in an airtight container or ice cube trays. Just thaw it in the fridge when you’re ready to use it again.
- Balance is key: Strive for a harmonious balance between sweetness, tanginess, and smokiness. Adjust the ingredients to achieve your desired flavour profile.
- Experiment with heat: If you love a spicy kick, play around with the amount of cayenne pepper. Start with a pinch and taste as you go to find your perfect level of heat.
- Quality matters: Choose high-quality ketchup and molasses for the best results. Quality ingredients elevate the overall taste of your sauce.
You may also enjoy…
Is there a substitute for black treacle?
Yes, you can use honey or maple syrup as a substitute for black treacle. Each option will lend a unique flavour profile to your sauce, so feel free to experiment.
How long does homemade BBQ sauce last?
When stored properly in the refrigerator, homemade BBQ sauce can last up to a month. If frozen, it can maintain its quality for several months.
Can I put BBQ sauce into an air-fryer or oven?
Yes, you can absolutely use BBQ sauce in your air-fryer or oven recipes! However, it’s best to brush the sauce onto your food during the last few minutes of cooking to prevent the sugars in the sauce from burning under the high heat.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!
Don’t forget to mention @goodfooddiscoveries or tag #goodfooddiscoveries on social media.
I’d love to see your remakes!