Hunters Chicken is a British pub classic made with chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, baked in BBQ sauce and cheese. It’s a delicious and very comforting dish, that you can easily make at home.
WHAT IS HUNTERS CHICKEN
Hunter’s Chicken, a British pub classic, is an easy chicken recipe, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. It’s simple yet delicious dish – chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, smothered in barbecue sauce, and melted cheese. All made in just one baking dish, no frying or chopping needed!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Chicken breasts: Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They provide a lean and tender base for your dish.
- Bacon: Choose high-quality streaky bacon, preferably smoked.
- Barbecue sauce: BBQ sauce plays a crucial role in this recipe. Choose high-quality store-bought barbecue sauce, or make a quick homemade BBQ sauce.
- Cheese: A blend of grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese works wonders, creating a melty, gooey topping that adds a creamy richness to your Hunter’s Chicken.
HOW TO MAKE HUNTER’S CHICKEN
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Prepare the chicken.
Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Wrap each chicken breast with 2 slices of bacon, ensuring they are securely wrapped around the chicken. Place the wrapped chicken breasts on a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Add the flavours.
Remove from the oven and generously brush each chicken breast with barbecue sauce, covering the entire surface. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of each chicken breast. Place the dish back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
Serve with chunky chips/fries or mashed potatoes and your favourite vegetables. Enjoy!
STORING AND FREEZING TIPS
Hunters Chicken is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, however, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven at a low temperature to retain the dish’s texture and taste.
- Quality ingredients: Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best taste.
- Don’t overcook: Keep a close eye on your Hunter’s Chicken while baking to prevent overcooking. The chicken should be cooked through, tender, and juicy.
- Homemade BBQ sauce: High-quality barbecue sauce really makes a difference in this recipe, that’s why I always recommend using homemade BBQ sauce, which will ensure the best taste.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HUNTERS CHICKEN
Hunter’s Chicken is a versatile dish that pairs wonderfully with various sides. For the authentic British experience, serve it hot with your favourite side dishes such as crispy chips/fries or mashed potatoes, and vegetables like peas, broccoli, and carrots.
You may also enjoy…
Can I prepare Hunter’s Chicken in advance for a dinner party?
Hunters Chicken tastes best prepared and baked fresh. however, you can bake chicken wrapped in bacon, then cool it down, and top with BBQ sauce and cheese. Refrigerate, then when you are ready, bake for a few minutes until hot.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs if you prefer their juiciness. Just ensure they are boneless and skinless and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!