Cauliflower soup is a classic comfort food that is perfect for chilly nights or for when you want a hearty and healthy meal. With just a few simple ingredients, this soup is easy to make and the result is unbelievably delicious. It’s a great way to add more veggies to your diet and is perfect for those who are looking for a warm and satisfying meal.
Why this recipe works
Cauliflower soup is incredibly versatile. The basic soup recipe can be adapted to suit a range of different tastes and dietary requirements. For example, you could add some bacon or pancetta to the soup to give it a smoky flavor, or swap the heavy cream for coconut milk to make it vegan-friendly.
Also, cauliflower is the star of the show, making it a healthy and low-calorie option that is perfect for those who want to add more veggies to their diet. The soup is also incredibly easy to make, requiring just a few simple ingredients that can be found in most kitchens.
The addition of rosemary croutons also takes this soup to the next level. The crunchy croutons provide a perfect contrast to the smooth and creamy soup, adding texture and flavor that complements the cauliflower perfectly. The rosemary adds a fragrant and earthy flavor that pairs beautifully with the soup, creating a dish that is both comforting and sophisticated.
What is Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower soup is a creamy and flavorful soup that is made with cauliflower as the main ingredient. The soup typically includes onions, garlic, and broth, along with salt and pepper for seasoning. After the vegetables are cooked until tender, the soup is pureed until smooth, resulting in a creamy and silky texture.
Cauliflower soup is a popular comfort food that is perfect for cold winter nights, but it can be enjoyed year-round. It’s a great way to add more vegetables to your diet, and it can be easily adapted to suit a range of different tastes and dietary requirements. Some recipes call for the addition of heavy cream to make the soup extra rich and indulgent, while others use coconut milk to make it vegan-friendly.
Cauliflower soup can be served as a starter or as a main course, and it pairs well with a range of different toppings and garnishes, such as croutons, herbs, or a drizzle of olive oil. It’s a versatile dish that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, making it a favorite among home cooks and professional chefs alike.
Best ingredients for Cauliflower Soup with Croutons
- Cauliflower: Look for a large head of cauliflower that is firm and heavy for its size. Choose one that has a bright white color with no brown spots or discoloration.
- Onions and garlic: These ingredients add depth of flavor to the soup. Use fresh onions and garlic for the best results.
- Broth: Choose a high-quality chicken or vegetable broth for the soup. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, be sure to use a vegetable broth.
- Salt and pepper: These simple seasonings are essential for enhancing the flavor of the soup.
- Olive oil: Use extra-virgin olive oil for sautéing the onions and garlic. It adds a rich and fruity flavor to the soup.
- Heavy cream: If you want to make the soup extra creamy and indulgent, use heavy cream. For a vegan-friendly option, use coconut milk.
- Rosemary: The addition of rosemary to croutons in this recipe elevates the flavor of the soup. Use fresh rosemary for the best results.
- Bread: Use good-quality bread, preferably a crusty white bread, to make the croutons. It adds a satisfying crunch to the soup. A bit stale, leftover bread would also work perfectly.
How to make Cauliflower Soup with Rosemary Croutons
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Sauté onion and garlic
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, and sauté for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
Step 2: Add cauliflower and seasoning
Add 1 large head of roughly chopped cauliflower to the pot, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add broth
Pour in 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
Step 4: Puree the soup
Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a food processor and puree until smooth.
Step 5: Make rosemary croutons
While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss 4 cubed slices of white bread with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Step 6: Serve the soup
Return the soup to the pot and heat until it is warmed through. Serve the soup hot with a drizzle of heavy cream, olive oil, and the rosemary croutons on top.
Storing and freezing tips
Cauliflower soup with rosemary croutons can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in a saucepan over medium heat until it is warmed through.
To freeze the soup, allow it to cool completely and transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it in a saucepan over medium heat until it is warmed through.
When storing the croutons, make sure they are completely cool and dry before storing them in an airtight container. They will keep for up to a week at room temperature. Add them to the soup just before serving.
Top tips for the best Cauliflower Soup
- Choose the right cauliflower: Look for a head of cauliflower that is firm and tightly packed. Avoid cauliflower with brown spots or any signs of mold.
- Cut the cauliflower into similar-sized pieces: This will help the cauliflower cook evenly and ensure that all of it is tender.
- Don’t skimp on the sautéing time: Sautéing the onion and garlic adds depth of flavor to the soup. Be patient and let them cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Use a high-quality broth: Since the broth is one of the main ingredients in the soup, using a high-quality chicken or vegetable broth will make a big difference in the flavor.
- Serve with fresh rosemary croutons: The rosemary croutons add a nice crunch and flavor to the soup. Make sure to prepare them fresh and serve them on top of the soup just before serving.
You may also enjoy…
Can cauliflower soup be frozen?
Yes, cauliflower soup can be frozen. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag, leaving some room for expansion. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then heat it on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Can I use frozen cauliflower for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower for this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat the cauliflower soup?
To reheat the soup, place it in a pot and heat it on low, stirring occasionally, until it is warmed through. Alternatively, you can microwave it in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until heated through.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!
Don’t forget to mention @goodfooddiscoveries or tag #goodfooddiscoveries on social media.
I’d love to see your remakes!