Calling all garlic lovers – this Easy Roasted Garlic Soup is for you! It’s the perfect comfort food for cold, gloomy days. It’s creamy, garlicky and delicious. Made with around 50 garlic cloves (5 garlic heads)!
WHAT IS ROASTED GARLIC SOUP
Roasted Garlic Soup is a perfect creamy soup made with caramelised, roasted garlic, potatoes and shallots. It’s blended until smooth with chicken or vegetable broth and heavy cream. It pairs really well with several toppings and sides, like crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, herbs and fresh baguette or grilled cheese. It’s ridiculously easy to make – just roast vegetables in the oven, blend and enjoy!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Potatoes: Choose starchy potatoes like Russets for a creamy texture. Ensure they are fresh and free from sprouts for the best flavour.
- Shallots: I love shallots for their subtle sweetness which works great in this roasted garlic soup.
- Garlic: Select fresh, plump garlic heads with tight cloves. Roasting transforms the pungent garlic into a mellow, caramelised sweetness.
- Olive oil: Use high-quality olive oil to drizzle vegetables before roasting.
- Seasonings and herbs: Use high-quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for a well-balanced seasoning. I like to also add thyme and rosemary to the vegetables.
- Chicken or vegetable broth: Use homemade broth or high-quality store-bought options.
- Heavy cream / double cream: Full-fat heavy cream would work great to achieve a perfect creamy texture.
HOW TO MAKE EASY ROASTED GARLIC SOUP
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Prepare ingredients and roast.
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel and dice the potatoes, halve the shallots, and cut the tops off the garlic heads. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Roast for 30 minutes, cover with foil, and return to the oven for an additional 15-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the garlic cloves are soft and golden.
Step 2: Blend and simmer.
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large pot, squeeze the garlic cloves out of the skins, and add chicken or vegetable broth along with heavy cream. Blend until smooth and creamy using a hand blender or food processor. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Gently warm on the stove over medium heat.
Step 3: Garnish and serve.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and chopped parsley or dill. Pair it with a fresh baguette and enjoy!
Store any leftover Roasted Garlic Soup in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely before transferring to freezer-safe containers, leaving room for expansion. It can be frozen for up to three months.
- Roast vegetables until tender and caramelised: Make sure that potatoes are very creamy and tender before removing from the oven. Roasting can take from 45 to 60 minutes.
- Make it extra smooth: Run the blended soup through a sieve to achieve a perfectly smooth consistency.
- Don’t forget about toppings: Toppings, like crispy bacon, cheddar and herbs, really make a difference in the overall taste of this roasted garlic soup!
- Serve with fresh baguette: A crusty baguette pairs really well with creamy soup!
You may also enjoy…
Can I use different herbs in the soup?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with your favourite herbs to customize the flavour profile of the soup.
Can I make roasted garlic soup ahead of time?
Yes, this soup reheats beautifully. Make it a day in advance and reheat on the stove over medium heat.
Can I substitute heavy cream with a lighter alternative?
While heavy cream adds richness, you can use milk or a half-half (single cream) for a slightly lighter version without compromising too much on texture.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!