When it comes to party dips, there are few that can compete with the creamy and savory goodness of a good feta dip. Whether you’re hosting a party or just looking for a delicious snack, feta dip is an ideal choice that will satisfy your cravings and impress your guests. And if you’re looking for a recipe that takes things up a notch, then you’ll love this Roasted Garlic Feta Dip with Cherry Tomatoes.
Why this recipe works
This recipe for feta dip works for a number of reasons, but primarily because it combines several key ingredients that each contribute to the overall flavor and texture of the dip.
Firstly, the roasted garlic is a game-changer. Roasting garlic brings out its natural sweetness and mellows out its pungent flavor, resulting in a soft and spreadable texture that adds a rich and savory depth to the feta dip. Secondly, the cherry tomatoes are roasted to bring out their natural sweetness, which complements the tangy feta and creamy Greek yogurt perfectly. Their burst texture and slightly charred edges add both visual interest and a touch of smokiness to the dip. Also, the feta cheese and Greek yogurt provide a creamy and tangy base that balances out the flavors of the garlic and tomatoes. The feta cheese also adds a salty bite that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes.
Together, these ingredients create a feta dip that is flavorful, tangy, and savory, with just the right balance of sweet and salty. And because it’s so easy to make, it’s the perfect appetizer for any occasion.
What is Roasted Garlic Whipped Feta Dip
Roasted Garlic Feta Dip with Cherry Tomatoes is a creamy and tangy dip that combines the richness of feta cheese, the creaminess of Greek yogurt, the sweetness of roasted cherry tomatoes, and the deep, savory flavor of roasted garlic.
The dip’s foundation is made by blending the feta cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and black pepper in a food processor until smooth. Then, the roasted garlic cloves are squeezed into the mixture and blended again, resulting in a rich and velvety base. The roasted cherry tomatoes are added on top of the whipped feta dip, bringing both visual appeal and a burst of flavor to the dip.
Best ingredients for Roasted Garlic Feta Dip
- Garlic – The head of garlic used in this recipe is roasted in the oven, which caramelizes the natural sugars in the garlic and gives it a sweet, nutty flavor. It also softens the cloves, making them easy to incorporate into the dip. Choose garlic heads that are firm and free of any signs of mold or sprouting.
- Cherry tomatoes – The pint of cherry tomatoes adds a bright, juicy burst of flavor to the dip. Look for ripe cherry tomatoes that are plump, firm, and bright. When roasted, they will become slightly charred and burst, releasing their sweet juices into the dip.
- Feta cheese – Feta cheese is the star of the show in this dip, adding tanginess and creaminess. For the best flavor and texture, use a block of high-quality feta cheese instead of pre-crumbled feta.
- Greek yogurt – Greek yogurt is the secret ingredient that makes this dip so creamy and rich. Choose plain, full-fat Greek yogurt for the best flavor and texture. The yogurt also adds a tanginess that complements the feta cheese and roasted garlic.
- Olive oil – A good quality extra-virgin olive oil is perfect for roasting the garlic and cherry tomatoes. It adds richness and depth of flavor to the dip. Use a fruity and robust olive oil for the best results.
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds brightness and acidity to the dip, balancing out the richness of the feta cheese and roasted garlic. It also enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Salt and pepper – A pinch of high-quality sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper is all you need to season this dip to perfection. They enhance the flavors of the other ingredients and bring everything together.
How to make Roasted Garlic Whipped Feta Dip
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Roast the garlic
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut off the top of the garlic head to expose the cloves. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and wrap the garlic head in aluminium foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the garlic is soft and golden.
Step 2: Roast the cherry tomatoes
On the same baking sheet used to roast the garlic, add the cherry tomatoes and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the cherry tomatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they have burst and are slightly charred.
Step 3: Make the dip
In a food processor, combine the feta cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and black pepper. Pulse until the mixture is smooth. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the food processor and pulse again until the garlic is well incorporated into the feta mixture.
Step 4: Serve
Transfer the whipped feta dip to a serving bowl. Arrange the roasted cherry tomatoes on top of the whipped feta dip and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve with pita bread or crackers and enjoy!
Storing and freezing tips
This dip is best served immediately after preparation while still fresh and creamy. However, if you happen to have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The dip will firm up a bit after being refrigerated, so simply allow it to come to room temperature before serving. It is not recommended to freeze this dip as the texture will change and the dip will become grainy and watery upon thawing.
To avoid waste, it’s best to make this dip for a party or event where it can be enjoyed in one sitting. However, if you do have leftovers, they can make a great sandwich spread or addition to a salad.
Top tips for the best Roasted Garlic Feta Dip
- Use high-quality ingredients: Since this dip relies on just a few key ingredients, it’s important to use high-quality feta cheese, Greek yogurt, and olive oil. Look for feta cheese that’s made from sheep’s milk for a tangy, creamy flavor.
- Roast the garlic and tomatoes properly: Be sure to roast the garlic until it’s golden brown and soft to bring out its sweet, nutty flavor. Roast the cherry tomatoes until they burst and start to char slightly, which will intensify their flavor.
- Use a food processor: Using a food processor to blend the ingredients ensures that the dip is smooth and creamy without any chunks of garlic or feta.
- Adjust the seasoning: After blending the ingredients, taste the dip and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may need to add more salt, lemon juice, or black pepper to achieve the perfect balance of flavors.
- Garnish with fresh herbs: Fresh herbs like basil or parsley add a pop of color and freshness to the dip. Be sure to chop them finely and sprinkle them over the top just before serving.
- Serve with warm pita bread or crackers: Warm pita bread or crispy crackers are the perfect vehicles for this dip. You can also serve it with fresh vegetables like carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or bell pepper strips for a healthier option.
You may also enjoy…
Can I use a different type of cheese for this dip?
Feta cheese is the star of this dip and gives it a tangy, salty flavor that pairs perfectly with the roasted garlic and tomatoes. However, if you don’t have feta cheese on hand, you can try substituting it with goat cheese or even cream cheese. Just keep in mind that the flavor of the dip will be different.
Can I make feta dip ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dip ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just keep in mind that the dip will become more garlicky as it sits, so you may want to adjust the seasoning before serving.
Can I freeze whipped feta dip?
I do not recommend freezing this dip, as the texture and flavor may change once it’s thawed.
Can I adjust the amount of garlic in this dip?
Absolutely! If you’re not a fan of garlic, you can reduce the amount or skip it altogether. On the other hand, if you love garlic, you can add more to taste.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!
Don’t forget to mention @goodfooddiscoveries or tag #goodfooddiscoveries on social media.
I’d love to see your remakes!