If you’re looking for an easy comfort food recipe, this Roasted Cauliflower Cheddar Soup is for you! Roasting the vegetables brings out delicious caramelized tones, and the addition of cheddar cheese gives it a cheesy, savory flavor. It’s a bowl of pure comfort, perfect for cold winter days!
WHAT IS ROASTED CAULIFLOWER CHEDDAR SOUP
Roasted Cauliflower Cheddar Soup is a velvety blend of roasted cauliflower, shallots, and garlic, enriched with vegetable or chicken broth. The addition of half-half and shredded sharp cheddar cheese transforms it into an easy meal that is both comforting and delicious.
The creaminess of the blended cauliflower, the sharpness of the cheddar, and the caramelized undertones from roasting – it’s a bowl of pure comfort!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Cauliflower: Choose a fresh, firm head of cauliflower, cut into florets for easy roasting.
- Shallots and garlic: You’ll need two shallots and a whole garlic head for this cauliflower recipe.
- Olive oil: Use high-quality olive oil to generously drizzle over the vegetables before roasting.
- Broth: Whether vegetable or chicken, choose a high-quality broth to build a delicious base for the soup.
- Half-half / single cream: Cream adds a creamy, velvety touch to the soup.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Cheddar adds cheesy, savoury flavour.
- Garnish: Use chives, paprika powder and extra cheddar cheese for the best flavour!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Roast vegetables. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange cauliflower, shallots, and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until caramelised and soft.
Step 2: Blend. Transfer roasted vegetables to a pot, add broth, and puree using an immersion blender. If using a traditional blender, blend in batches until smooth.
Step 3: Add Cheese and cream. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Pour in the half-half/single cream, stirring until well combined.
Step 4: Heat and serve. Gently heat the soup without boiling. Serve hot, garnished with chives, extra cheddar, and a pinch of paprika. Enjoy with crusty bread!
STORING AND FREEZING
To store: Store this cauliflower cheddar soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently over medium-low heat.
To freeze: For those planning to freeze the soup, hold off on adding the cream during the initial cooking process. While the soup itself freezes beautifully, the addition of cream can lead to separation upon thawing. For the best results, incorporate the cream after reheating.
- Ensure even roasting by spreading the cauliflower, shallots, and garlic in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Invest in a quality immersion blender for a smooth and hassle-free blending process.
- Use sharp/mature cheddar cheese for a more pronounced and robust flavour profile.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup by adding more broth if needed.
- Heat the soup gently to avoid separation of the cream.
You may also enjoy…
Can I use frozen cauliflower?
While fresh cauliflower is recommended for optimal flavour, frozen cauliflower can be used in a pinch. Ensure it’s thawed and well-drained before roasting.
Is it possible to make this cauliflower soup ahead of time?
Absolutely! Prepare the soup a day in advance and reheat it gently on the stovetop before serving.
Can I substitute the half-half with a different cream?
Yes, you can use heavy cream for a richer soup or milk for a lighter version. You can also use dairy-free options for this cauliflower soup – coconut cream or milk alternatives.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!