Eggs Benedict is a classic brunch dish that is loved by many. But have you ever tried adding smoked salmon to it? The combination of smoked salmon, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce makes for a delicious and luxurious meal that is perfect for a special occasion or a lazy weekend brunch.
Why this recipe works
This Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict recipe is a crowd-pleaser that’s perfect for a special breakfast or brunch occasion. This recipe works for a variety of reasons:
- Perfectly poached eggs: Poaching eggs can be a daunting task, but this recipe provides step-by-step instructions to ensure perfectly poached eggs with a runny yolk and set white. The vinegar added to the water helps to coagulate the egg whites, making them set faster and preventing them from spreading out too much.
- Creamy hollandaise sauce: A good hollandaise sauce can make or break an Eggs Benedict dish, and this recipe’s hollandaise sauce is rich, creamy, and full of flavor. The blend of egg yolks, lemon juice, and melted butter creates a velvety smooth sauce that pairs perfectly with the smoked salmon and poached eggs.
- Quick and easy to make: Despite its fancy appearance, this recipe is relatively simple to make and can be prepared in just a few steps. The hollandaise sauce can be made in a blender, and the poached eggs only take a few minutes to cook. This makes it an ideal dish for entertaining guests or impressing your family with a special breakfast treat.
What is Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict is a delicious variation of the classic Eggs Benedict dish. This breakfast or brunch dish consists of a toasted English muffin half topped with a slice of smoked salmon, sliced avocado, a perfectly poached egg, and a generous drizzle of creamy hollandaise sauce. The dish is garnished with fresh dill and capers, adding extra flavor and texture to the dish.
Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict is easy to make, yet looks and tastes elegant, making it a perfect dish for special occasions like Mother’s Day, Easter, or any other celebration where a special breakfast or brunch is in order.
Best ingredients for Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
- Smoked salmon: For the best flavor and texture, use high-quality smoked salmon. Look for salmon that is moist, flavorful, and not too salty. Cold-smoked salmon is a great choice as it has a milder flavor than hot-smoked salmon.
- English muffins: Choose English muffins that are fresh and have a good texture. Toast them until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Avocado: Choose ripe avocados that are slightly soft to the touch. Slice them thinly and arrange them on top of the smoked salmon.
- Eggs: Use fresh, high-quality eggs for poaching. The fresher the eggs, the better they will hold together in the water.
- White vinegar: Adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to the poaching water helps the egg whites to set faster and gives the eggs a neater shape.
- Hollandaise sauce: Homemade hollandaise sauce is the best option as it is rich, creamy, and flavorful. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice and high-quality butter for the best results.
- Fresh dill and capers: These garnishes add extra flavor and texture to the dish. Use fresh dill and high-quality capers for the best results.
How to make Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
Please note: This is just an overview – the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Toast the English muffins. You can toast the English muffins in the toaster, on a dry pan or in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
Step 2: Poach the eggs. Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water, and bring it to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Add the white vinegar. Crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Create a whirlpool in the water by stirring it in a circular motion with a whisk, and carefully slide each egg into the center of the whirlpool. Cook the eggs for 2-3 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
Step 3: Prepare the hollandaise sauce. In a blender, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend the mixture until it becomes thick and frothy. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the hot melted butter until the sauce is thick and creamy.
Step 4: Assemble the Eggs Benedict. Place two toasted English muffin halves on each plate. Top each muffin half with a slice of smoked salmon and a few slices of avocado. Use a slotted spoon to remove each poached egg from the water, and place one egg on top of each muffin half. Drizzle the hollandaise sauce over the eggs, and garnish with fresh dill and capers.
Storing and freezing tips
Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict is best served fresh and hot, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, the hollandaise sauce may separate and become grainy. It’s best to make a fresh batch of hollandaise sauce when you want to serve the eggs benedict.
Top tips for the best Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients: The quality of the ingredients used in the dish makes a big difference in the final taste. Use fresh eggs, high-quality smoked salmon, and perfectly ripe avocados for the best flavor and texture.
- Make the hollandaise sauce from scratch: Making the hollandaise sauce from scratch may seem daunting, but it’s worth it for the superior taste and texture. Be sure to use hot melted butter and blend the sauce until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Toast the English muffins to perfection: Toast the English muffins until they are crisp and golden brown. This adds a delicious crunch to the dish and helps hold up the toppings.
- Poach the eggs correctly: Poaching eggs can be tricky, but it’s essential for the perfect eggs benedict. Be sure to add white vinegar to the water and create a whirlpool with a whisk before adding the eggs. Cook the eggs until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
- Add fresh dill and capers for garnish: Fresh dill and capers add a pop of flavor and color to the dish. Don’t skip these garnishes as they elevate the overall taste and presentation.
- Serve immediately: Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict is best served immediately while the hollandaise sauce is still warm and the eggs are still runny. Delaying serving the dish may result in the hollandaise sauce cooling and becoming grainy.
What to serve with Eggs Benedict?
Here are some popular options to serve with Eggs Benedict:
- Roasted potatoes: Crispy roasted potatoes seasoned with herbs like rosemary or thyme make a delicious and filling side dish.
- Fresh fruit salad: A refreshing fruit salad with a variety of seasonal fruits adds a burst of freshness and balances the richness of the Eggs Benedict.
- Sautéed spinach or asparagus: Lightly sautéed spinach or asparagus spears provide a nutritious and vibrant addition to the plate.
- Grilled tomatoes: Halved tomatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, and herbs and grilled until slightly charred are a tasty option.
- Hash browns: Crispy hash browns are a classic choice to serve alongside Eggs Benedict. They add a satisfying crunch and pair well with the flavors.
- Avocado slices: Creamy avocado slices or guacamole can add a creamy, buttery element to the dish.
- Mixed greens salad: A simple mixed greens salad with a light vinaigrette dressing can provide a fresh and crisp contrast to the richness of the eggs.
- Bacon or sausage: If you want to add some extra protein and savory flavors, serving crispy bacon strips or your favorite breakfast sausages can be a great option.
You may also enjoy…
Can I make the hollandaise sauce ahead of time?
While it’s best to make hollandaise sauce fresh and serve it immediately, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Reheat the sauce gently over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring frequently, until it’s warmed through and creamy again.
Can I use a different type of vinegar for poaching the eggs?
White vinegar is traditional for poaching eggs because it helps the egg whites coagulate quickly. However, you can use any type of vinegar you like, such as apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar.
Can I add other ingredients to my Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict?
Absolutely! Eggs Benedict is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. Some popular additions include spinach, bacon, or sliced tomatoes.
Can I use a different type of bread besides English muffins?
English muffins are a classic choice for Eggs Benedict, as their nooks and crannies provide plenty of surface area for toasting and soaking up the hollandaise sauce. However, you could also use other types of bread, such as a toasted bagel or a hearty sourdough. Just make sure it’s sturdy enough to support the toppings and won’t get too soggy from the sauce.
Did you make it?
I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Your feedback is valuable and helps me to continue creating delicious recipes that you will love.
So, don’t be shy, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!
Don’t forget to mention @goodfooddiscoveries or tag #goodfooddiscoveries on social media.
I’d love to see your remakes!